Sweet Tweets

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Occupy Worcester

I tweeted about this already, but I was running an errand at Target yesterday and came across several people running around the store announcing to anyone that would listen that they were with Occupy Worcester and they were picking up supplies.  It was so stereotypical it was laughable.  Long, dirty dreadlocks, rasta hats, ratty clothing artfully patched, and a general unshaven, unwashed appearance.

As I walked out of the store, there were several of the Occupy people outside pushing petitions on shoppers.  They made eye contact with me and did not move one inch towards approaching me.  All I can figure is that I give off the aura of capitalism. And while as a follower of Jesus my heart desires first and foremost to give off the fragrance of the Gospel and His love for every single person, I'm not ashamed that I may be pigeon-holed as a conservative more likely to show up at a Tea Party rally rather than squat in front of a government building for months on end.   

"[D]emocracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few."
John Adams, An Essay on Man's Lust for Power, 1763

0 Remarks: