Sweet Tweets

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Acceptance versus Resignation

When a new year starts, it always prompts me to think over the past year. The events, changes, blessings, disappointments, surprises, moments of pure happiness and joy, heartbreaking news and how I've changed with each of those things.

Something I've been told before is that while we can't change the events of our lives, the things we can control is our behavior and attitude in response to those events. I've learned that being a victim of circumstances gets you nowhere, changes nothing and generally makes the people around you miserable. I read a passage by Creath Davis that illustrates this perfectly. It was included in a book by his wife, Verdell Davis, following his tragic and untimely death, in "Let Me Grieve but not Forever."

Resignation is surrender to fate.
Acceptance is surrender to God.


Resignation lies down quietly in an empty universe.
Acceptance rises up to meet the God who fills the universe with purpose and destiny.


Resignation say, "I can't."
Acceptance says, "God can."


Resignation paralyzes the life process.
Acceptance releases the process for its greatest creativity.


Resignation says, "It's all over for me."
Acceptance asks, "Now that I am here, what's next, Lord?"


Resignation says, "What a waste."
Acceptance says, "In what redemptive way will you use this mess, Lord?"


Resignation says, "I am alone."
Acceptance says, "I belong to you, O God."

1 Remarks:

Holly said...

You're AMAZING! I love you to pieces. I can't wait to see what God brings across our path this year...2007=year of heaven!